I just found out about a fun reading event that’s taking place this August. #ReadThemAllThon, hosted by Read at Midnight, combines two of my greatest loves: books and Pokemon!
The event actually starts today, but it runs until September 4, and readers can join it at any time. Sign up and get the complete details here.
The basic info
There are two components to this readathon. The first, and most important, is the reading part. There are eight categories, each of which correspond to one of the eight gyms the player faces in the original Pokemon games. Finish a category’s book, and you’ve earned that gym’s badge. (If you want to stay true to the games, make sure you do them in order!)
The second, optional part is the Pokemon training. If you’re not into Pokemon, maybe you don’t care about this part, and that’s okay. I am, so I do! Here’s how it works:
- You pick a “starter” Pokemon—any Pokemon you want. It starts with 10 combat power (CP), or 50 CP if you choose a Pokemon that doesn’t evolve (like Tauros, for example).
- For every 10 pages you read, your Pokemon gets a boost of 1 CP.
- For every badge you earn, it gets 20 CP.
- For each book review you post during the readathon (even if it’s not for one of the gym badge books), it gets 20 CP.
- When you reach 150 CP, your Pokemon can evolve, gaining a 50 CP boost. If it has a third form, it can evolve again at 400 CP, and get another 50 CP boost.
At the end of the readathon, whoever has the highest CP Pokemon wins!
FYI, there are some special rules for Magikarp/Gyarados, and some more ways to earn CP by posting on Twitter. Check out the sign-up link above if you want more detail on that.
I’ll be training Dratini, one of my original favorites.
Here are the books I’m planning to read:
Boulder Badge (first book in a series) – Titus Groan, by Mervyn Peake
Cascade Badge (a book that might make me cry) – Song of the North, by Jules Watson
Thunder Badge (a book with thunderous hype) – The Girl on the Train, by Paula Hawkins
Rainbow Badge (a book featuring diversity) – Lagoon, by Nnedi Okorafor
Soul Badge (a book with an epic romance) – The Winter King, by C.L. Wilson
Marsh Badge (a book with fantasy/supernatural elements) – Acceptance, by Jeff VanderMeer
Flame Badge (a book with a red cover) – Flowers for Algernon, by Daniel Keyes
Earth Badge (a post-apocalyptic book) – The Scorch Trials, by James Dashner